The diamond engagement ring: the quintessential symbol of eternal love. A proposal is simply the start of your journey to forever, so why not mark your proposal with a ring as timeless and enduring as the diamond engagement ring? As you embark on the exciting adventure of choosing the perfect ring for your beloved, it's essential to navigate the world of diamonds, settings, and styles. This guide by Jason Ree will ensure that the ring you choose not only reflects your commitment to your love, but also captures the essence of your unique story together. We love nothing more than love itself, and a diamond engagement ring encapsulates it all perfectly!
Diamond Engagement Rings: Understanding the 4 Cs of Creating the Perfect Piece
Before diving into the world of diamond engagement rings, it's important to understand the four Cs: Carat, Cut, Colour, and Clarity. These characteristics determine both a diamond's quality and its price.
- Carat: Contrary to popular belief, the carat refers to the diamond's weight, not its size. While a larger-carat diamond may seem impressive, it's essential to consider other factors, such as cut and clarity, to ensure a well-balanced and simply dazzling appearance.
- Cut: The cut of a diamond creates both brilliance and sparkle. A well-cut diamond reflects light beautifully, creating eye-catching magic. Look for cuts graded "Excellent" or "Very Good" for an exquisite play of light that’ll steal the show on every occasion.
- Colour: The colour of a diamond is graded on a scale from D (colourless) to Z (light yellow or brown). While colour preferences are subjective, diamonds in the near-colourless range (G-J) often seem colourless to the naked eye and create an ethereal appearance that is simply timeless. At Jason Ree, we love to combine classic with a spot of magic: we work with a range of coloured diamonds, like our favourite Champagne diamond.
- Clarity: Clarity measures the presence of any internal flaws (inclusions) or external blemishes (blemishes). While many imperfections are simply tiny and can’t be seen by the naked eye, the higher clarity grades (VVS or VS) will always be of higher value
Creating the Engagement Perfect Ring: Choosing the Right Diamond Shape
Every person has their preferences, and this remains true for engagement ring preferences. Diamonds can be cut in various shapes, each with its own unique charm: they can be paired with other diamonds, on their own, or with another gemstone. For now, let’s focus on a single-stone setting. The most popular shapes include:
- Round: This is both a classic and timeless choice, round diamonds are the perfect choice for a ring that’ll never go out of style. They’re incredibly versatile, due to their ability to suit many different settings.
- Princess: With pointed corners and a square or rectangular shape, princess-cut diamonds are both modern and elegant. They work well in both traditional and contemporary settings.
- Emerald: Characterised by its rectangular shape and cut corners, the emerald-cut diamond is ideal for those who appreciate sophistication and understated glamour.
- Oval: Oval diamonds offer a unique twist on the traditional round shape, creating the illusion of longer, slender fingers. They're perfect for those who want a distinctive yet classic look, and are an increasingly popular choice for brides-to-be!
The Diamond Engagement Ring: Choosing the Right Setting
The diamond you choose will radiate beauty, but there are a few more steps before your diamond engagement ring is finished. The right setting will complement its beauty, ensure it’s secure, and create the perfect finish. Popular settings include:
- Solitaire: this is a timeless and elegant choice. With a solitaire setting, the single diamond can take centre stage; it’s the perfect choice for those who want a classic and timeless design.
- Halo: For added sparkle and a touch of vintage glamour, a halo setting is a fantastic choice. This style features a central diamond surrounded by a circle of smaller diamonds, enhancing the overall brilliance of the ring.
- Pavé: A pavé ring is signified by lots of smaller diamonds set closely together to create a continuous sparkling surface. This is great for those who want to create a dazzling effect for their ring.
- Three-Stone: Traditionally, the three-stone engagement ring symbolises the past, present, and future which is a beautiful and meaningful symbol of two lovers coming together
Considering Metal Options for Your Diamond Engagement Ring
The metal you choose for the ring's band plays a significant role in its overall aesthetic. Choices at Jason Ree include:
- White Gold: Created by mixing yellow gold with other white metals, white gold creates an elegant look, especially when paired with a diamond.
- Yellow Gold: A classic choice, yellow gold exudes warmth and traditional elegance. It looks beautiful with all different kinds of diamond shapes and settings.
- Rose Gold: With a romantic and vintage appeal, rose gold has become a trendy choice for engagement rings. Its warm, pink hue adds an extra touch of romance to the ring.
Choosing the perfect diamond engagement ring is an important milestone in your love story. We hope that this guide by Jason Ree will help you create the perfect symbol of forever.